Welcome to the Saarland University.

On this page you can find answers to frequently asked questions and information for your begin of studies. If we cannot answer all your questions here, feel free to write us an email or drop by at room 109 in building E1.3.

What is the students’ representative council?

The students’ representative council is a committee of students, which is elected on an annual basis. The student body is made up of all students of the computer science department of faculty MI. Each student is eligible to vote and thus can run for election.

The main task of the students’ representative council is the improvement of study conditions. This includes social events, e.g., our summer or christmas party. Moreover, we provide you with a free student printer and old exams. Moreover, we represent the interests of the student body in different boards, e.g., faculty or examination boards.
During the semester, we meet weekly to discuss these topics.

What is important for my final thesis?

All necessary documents and information can be found on the website of the examination office.

Which study programs do you represent?

We represent the study programs of the computer science department of faculty MI. This includes:

  • bioinformatics
  • computer science,
  • cybersecurity and entrepreneurial cyber security
  • data science and artificial intelligence (DSAI)
  • embedded systems
  • media informatics,
  • teaching (Lehramt Informatik)
  • visual computing.

How can I access the free software licenses?

We use DreamSpark to provide you with Microsoft software (Microsoft Office excluded) and other products. You can get your software here. If you did not receive an email invitation, you can use the “forgot password” option for your s9-email address.

What is a minor field of study?

As a computer science bachelor, 18CP of your bachelor are from a minor field of study. The examination office offers a list of study fields, the information is only in German.

How do I get a CIP account?

Please go to the office (“Geschäftszimmer”) on the second floor of building E1.3.

How can I stay up-to-date with your projects?

If you want to receive information about our events, you can subscribe to our mailing list FS-announce. If you want to discuss issues with your fellow students, you can subscribe to FSR. For other fields of studies, please see your mailing lists.

Where can I look for jobs?

Interesting job offers are published through our job mailing list.

Where can I register for exams?

You have to register in the HISPOS/LSF System for the lectures you want to take. However, registration is open for a short term only. The examination office will notify you via email, when exam registration starts. Some lectures, mostly basic lectures, require registration through their own websites. Please be aware, that registration for your minor studies may be different.

Where can I get my course certificate?

A hardcopy of a course certificate (“Schein”) is only issued on request or for language courses. Hardcopies have to be handed in at the examination office. Normally, course certificates can be found in the HISPOS System. Moreover, your transcript of records and information about enrolled courses can be found there.

Who can I turn to in case of a problem?

Our job is to communicate between the students and professors when problems arise, e.g., during the course of a lecture. We will help you find a solution, so feel free to talk to us at any time.

If you want to tell us about problems or ideas for improvement, you can come visit us in E1.3 room 109 or use the suggestion box next to it.


How can I find out which lectures are offered?

All offered lectures can be found in the HISPOS/LSF system. For your minor field of study, which is required for computer science bachelor students, the lectures can be found on the homepage of their faculties. Moreover, most seminars can be booked even before they appear on the HISPOS/LSF system. Therefore, it is important to check the website of the different chairs. Language courses can be found on the website of the language center.

Where can I find more information?