Council meeting minutes from 2018-12-04
minutes of the students' representative council for study programs of computer science
|Present:||Alexander Dax, Annabelle Weber (till: 19:14), Benedikt Schardt, Beste Ekmen, David Bach, Dion Schirr, Dominic Zimmer, Julian Baldus, Julian Dörfler, Kai Vogelgesang, Nils Alznauer, Philip Wellnitz, Simon Anell (from: 18:35), Sven Ehses, Sven Tangermann, Karl Schrader, Mona Schappert, Simon Döring (till: 19:00), Simon Benenson, Nicolas Schmitt|
|Minute taker:||Sven Ehses|
Base Lectures in English
Professor Hack asked us to give a statement about this important topic.
- Prevents uncommon/false use of technical terms
- Students learn English earlier
- Better for international students
- The department is research oriented, which is conducted in English
- Some industry requires to learn English
- The research institutes pull international students
- Some other universities offer the Bachelor (only) in German
- Most students had English in school
- Maybe more exchange students would come
- Less time to learn English to a certain level
- In Germany, it is not a hard requirement to learn English for your A-levels
- Since this is the only university in Saarland and a university in Germany, computer science proficiency does not mean English proficiency (to get students into the university, whose English is not that good)
- Secondary subjects are mostly in German
- We also have to consider people studying Computer Science as secondary subject
- Problems to find tutors for the basic lectures
- Its hard for elderly people (guests or students) to learn English
- Bilingual exams (English and German possible)
- Bilingual script (if not possible, offer book recommendations(free)) / exercise sheets
- There should always be a script!!
- Bilingual Tutorials (should be coordinated across lectures)
- At least one Tutorial in English/German
- Specialized Bachelors in English, plain Computer Science in German?
- Use English terms while teaching in German (or vice versa)
The shifts are already prepared, however, after the event everybody should help cleaning up.
We got 600 cups for hot drinks from the physics students council. Thank you! If you can bring your own Cup!
Beste leaves her camera for taking pictures during the event. We shall take pictures when she is not there.
Invitations for examination boards
The examination board handles plagiarism and other stuff relating exams. They are elected for 2 years. The students council sends members to them, but it is not necessary to be an elected member.
We will send out an Email to inform all students about this.
The following Boards need new members:
CS- Examination Board (BCs, MCs), Visual Computing(Masters) , Cybersecurity(Bachelors) , Entrepreneurial Cybersecurity(Master)
There will be a deans meeting, in which they decide how to spend the money from the faculty. The money always goes to tutors. The meeting will be in January. Simon A. David B. and Benedict will be going there.